Low Carb Oven Fried Fish is a delicious way to serve up breaded fish – without all of the carbs! The breading is easy to make and turns into a golden crispy coating, perfect to dip into mayo!
This recipe is Trim Healthy Mama (THM S), low carb and keto friendly. Woohoo!
Friends on the internet, crispy fried food is my weakness.
Last night we went out for a late celebration of our anniversary and Mother’s Day (I was away for both, ahhh! terrible.) to this fancy restaurant.
They have a fabulous kids’ menu (I’m usually not a fan) and we let them order whatever they wanted – they picked the freshly made breaded fish.
And let me just say this, I had a fantastic 5 course meal. But I so wanted to take my kids’ plates and eat their crispy fish, ha!
Which is probably why I had to make my favorite low carb oven fried fish today…
And obviously share the recipe with you! Because.
- This is a great way to enjoy a low carb meal (or an s meal if you’re a Trim Healthy Mama) while feeling like you’re eating total comfort food.
- It takes a little time to bread the fish, but the recipe is SUPER easy!
- I have not yet told my husband that this recipe is NOT made with regular breadcrumbs… So far he hasn’t noticed, this is 100% kid and husband approved.
Ahhh… Yum. It’s so good! I wish I could eat this every day.
But to be honest… Treats are still treats, even if they’re made healthy. So, this is a special treat recipe for us – but I hope you enjoy it just as much for a special meal as we do!
My tips to make this best ever low carb oven fried chicken:
Stick to the breading method
This is the only way to get the crispy-yum crust on the fish.
You take one shallow dish and add all the dry ingredients. And you take a separate shallow dish to which you add the eggs.
- first you dip the fish into the dry ingredients for a light dusting
- then you coat it with the egg
- and finally back into the dry ingredients where you pack on the breading
That’s all there is to it! But this combination of low carb breading and egg, in this order, bakes up as a crispy golden casing for the fish – it’s perfect!
Use a dark pan!!
A white enamel or silver aluminium colored pan just doesn’t work as well to crisp up the breading.
I sometimes use the lid of a black roaster gifted to me by my mother in law – it’s so handy for all kinds of things!
But you can just use a regular dark sheet pan!
Don’t skimp on the butter
The oven-frying really doesn’t mean you don’t need any fat.
The coating only crisps up and cooks in fat, fact. But since we’re low-carbing and not low-fatting here, that’s totally fine!
I like butter best in this recipe, but feel free to experiment. Just use a liberal amount, otherwise the fish will stick to the pan and fall apart as you’re trying to flip it. And it will not get crispy and golden.
What can you serve with this oven fried fish?
OK, I know fries or potatoes are a classic with crispy fish. But since they’re not exactly low carb (or everyday Trim Healthy Mama fare), I like to build our S meal around the following ideas:
- a low carb side like roasted radishes or mashed cauliflower
- plenty of roasted veggies or a nice big salad
- dessert 🙂 though I’m usually too full after this meal to even go for dessert, ha!
My husband and kids need lots of crossovers, so I like making them a side of brown rice. We also love a little mayo for dipping!
Grab the printable recipe here:
Low Carb Oven Fried Fish
For the breading
- 1/2 cup ground golden flax
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, (just regular ground almonds, no need to use expensive almond flour!)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the eggs
- 2 large eggs
For the fish
- 1 pound white fish fillet, cut into large-ish pieces (I do about 8-10 pieces)
For the pan
- 1/4 cup butter
- Prep: Preheat oven to 430°F. Add a dark-colored pan or baking sheet to the oven as it heats up - the pan you use to bake the fish on needs to be hot to melt the butter on!
- Make breading: Mix all ingredients for the breading in a shallow dish.
- Prepare eggs: Add eggs to a SEPARATE shallow dish and beat well.
- Bread fish: Dip fish into breading to lightly coat. THEN coat fish with egg. FINALLY, coat fish with breading again, this time you can really pack on as much as will stick! (Just place breaded fish pieces on a plate until you've breaded them all.)
- Melt butter: VERY CAREFULLY remove the pan from the oven. Add 3 tablespoons of the butter to the pan to melt. Spread all over the pan and put the fish pieces on.
- Bake: Bake the fish for 10 minutes. Flip, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and finish baking for 5-10 minutes or until the coating is crispy and the fish is cooked through.
- Finish: Let the fish rest on the pan for 5 minutes after baking, then serve immediately.
This website is UNOFFICIAL and in NO WAY part of or representative of Trim Healthy Mama.
We aren’t trained by Trim Healthy Mama nor authorised to give Trim Healthy Mama advice. Any advice given here should not replace the advice of your Trim Healthy Mama coach or book.
Ideally, you should check with Trim Healthy Mama for the most accurate information on such matters as fuel types and meal plans.
Although wholesomerecipebox.com tries to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures should be considered estimates. Factors like brands, product types, natural fluctuations in fresh produce, ingredient swaps and the way ingredients are processed change the effective nutritional information in any given recipe. Under no circumstances will wholesomerecipebox.com be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on nutritional information.