Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This Slow Cooker Beef Stew is a hearty and warming dinner recipe for cold fall and winter nights. It's easy to assemble in the morning, and then it cooks in the crockpot all day!
Servings 6 servings
For the meat:
- 2 tablespoons oil OR lard OR butter
- 2 tablespoons flour optional for more browning and a thicker gravy
- 1.5 pounds beef stewing meat in chunks grass fed and/or organic preferred
For the gravy:
- 2 large yellow onions cut into thin wedges
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1/3 cups beef stock separated
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt or less, depending on what kind of stock you're using
- Black pepper to taste
For the stew:
- 1 pound waxy potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large celery sticks trimmed and thickly sliced
- 1/2 pound brown mushrooms quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup frozen peas no need to defrost
Brown the meat: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and sprinkle with flour. Cook until browned, then remove to a 5-6 quit slow cooker.
Start the gravy: Cook onions in the same skillet as the beef (no need to wipe it). Add garlic, parsley and tomato paste. Stir to roast, about 1 minute. Add 1/3 cup of beef stock, scratching the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the remaining ingredients for the gravy and bring to a boil (this helps to quick-start the stew in the crock). Take off the heat.
Add to the slow cooker: Place remaining stew ingredients EXCEPT for the peas on top of the meat. Very carefully ladle the hot liquid on top. Stir gently.
Cook: Cook the stew on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGh for 4 hours. 10 minutes before cooking time is over, stir in the peas. Finish cooking with the lid open (for a thicker stew). To thicken even further, make a slurry of 1 teaspoon organic cornstarch (or arrowroot) and 1 tablespoon water and stir into the stew as it simmers for the last 10 minutes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 343kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 1018mg | Potassium: 1446mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 7093IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 5mg