Low Carb Shepherd's Pie
This is the best way to make a low carb shepherd's pie - with the perfect cauliflower topping and a delicious filling! A wonderful keto & low carb dinner the entire family will enjoy.
Servings 6 servings
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 pound brown button mushrooms quartered (large ones diced)
- 3 stalks celery finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon glucomannan
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley OR use 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped thyme OR use 1/8 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary OR use 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 4 cups mashed cauliflower (click for my recipe!)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese cheddar is a classic!
Brown meat: Add oil to large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned. Drain if desired, then stir in onion, garlic, mushrooms, celery, salt, pepper and paprika and cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
Finish filling: Stir tomato paste into dish. Pour red wine into pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Whisk beef broth and glucomannan well in a large measuring jug, then stir into pan along with all herbs and green beans. Simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until thickened (it will thicken more as it sits). Pour into DEEP 7x11 inch baking dish and set aside to cool.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 175mg | Sodium: 747mg | Potassium: 978mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 507IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 3mg