Hi and welcome to The Wholesome Recipe Box, my little slice of the internet. I’m Nora: Wearer of all the hats (also known as mother).
I’m very passionate about feeding my family wholesome, natural food – but my recipes have to tick quite a few boxes to gain approval from my picky family (did I say picky? I meant wonderful).
This is what you’ll find on The Wholesome Recipe Box:
- My husband is a professional chef and taught me so many things in the kitchen. But he’s also spoiled when it comes to food, so everything I make for us has to be chef-approved in terms of taste. He is also a meat and potatoes guy… So no dainty quinoa bowls, please 😂
- I also have two little girls who think cinnamon is too spicy. Which means all of the recipes I create and share here on my blog are 100% kid-approved. And one of them reacts badly to artificial coloring, flavors and heavily processed sugars – so I avoid these like the plague!
- I’m very into natural, wholesome and traditional foods. Think cultured butter and kefir. I find so much joy in making food with ingredients I could grow or raise myself (and believe you me, if I had the backyard for it? I would totally do it!). All my recipes here on the blog are made with wholesome ingredients God created for us.
- I like to take a free approach to healthy eating – no strict rigid rules. That’s why I love the philosophy, practicality and results of Trim Healthy Mama though. While this website is unofficial and in no way part of or representative of Trim Healthy Mama, my recipes are on-plan because this is the way of eating that helps me feel balanced in life.
- And lastly, as all you moms know… I don’t have time to spend all day in the kitchen. I also don’t have the kind of grocery budget that allows me to get every specialty ingredient out there. So finally, my recipes are (mostly) quick and easy to make, budget-friendly and made with ingredients you can find at the regular grocery store.
Phew, that was quite the list 😉
The reason behind The Wholesome Recipe Box
I started this blog to help other moms and families go back to the basics, cook from scratch with natural ingredients and enjoy wholesome meals without feeling like you just put yourself on a diet.
I take pride in taking my family’s favorite comfort food and putting a healthy spin on it, so we never feel deprived. Comfort food made healthy with natural ingredients – that’s my thing, and I want to share it with you.
Finally, the name? I wanted to merge this recipe thing here on the internet (I mean, I still can’t quite believe I’m doing this!) with something heritage and old and vintage, hence the recipe box part. And wholesome? Well, that’s my passion, so it had to go in there, too!
4 More Things About Me…
- I worked in gastronomy pretty much all my life before I met my husband and got married. I’m not trained, but apparently food is really my thing.
- I sing and dance all the time, and sometimes I don’t even notice. Sometimes it happens when I’m grocery shopping. Having kids with me and pretending I’m singing for them helps with the weird looks, but not always. Ha!
- If we’re not busy in the kitchen or scrubbing the floor (what can I say, my kids are messy), my husband and I can be found homeschooling our babies or day-dreaming about our future homestead.
- I started milling my own grain 3 years ago, and I’m never going back! It is the actual best.
Thanks for stopping by!
I hope you’re having fun browsing around the recipes, and hopefully you’ll find something your family is going to ask for again and again!
If you want to contact me, you can do so at hashtagnesting (at) gmail (dot) com – I’d love to hear your thoughts about my recipes, about healthy living or about how hard it is to put lunch on the table in time when you’re homeschooling (seriously, do you have a special trick?)
Lovely to have you here 🙂