This is the BEST Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken recipe! With a special breading method, this turns out golden and crispy and all around delicious.
This recipe is Trim Healthy Mama friendly (THM S), low carb and keto! It’s also gluten free if using certified gf ingredients.
Remember how I shared this Low Carb Oven Fried Fish?
Well, I decided we also need a chicken version, so here it is today:
The Best Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken!
It’s a little cheaty, because it’s pretty much the same recipe as that fish, but I couldn’t resist sharing.
- it’s crispy and golden and wonderful
- it’s just as easy to make as the fish
- kids love it, because it’s so fast food-y and delicious – neither them or my husband have ever noticed the coating isn’t made with regular old breadcrumbs, so I consider that a huge win
We don’t eat this on a weekly basis (because it’s still special, even though it’s made with healthy ingredients), but whenever I make it, my kids and husband get soooo excited.
And I can’t blame them, because I get just as excited, too 😉
My best tips to make this healthy oven fried chicken:
Follow the breading method carefully
It’s important to follow the breading method very carefully to create that nice crispy coating.
- dip the chicken into the dry breading mix
- dip the chicken into the egg
- dip the chicken into the dry breading mix again to create a thick coating
Use a dark pan
You need to use a dark pan (either a baking pan or a roasting tin). Not a white enamel dish, and not a silver aluminium dish.
A dark pan reflects heat the best and really helps with the crispiness.
Also, don’t line the pan with parchment – it makes cleanup easier, but it also makes soggy chicken.
Preheat the pan
It’s crucial to preheat the pan, because you need to melt butter on it.
It also helps to give the chicken a jump-start in the oven – it’s just like heating a grill before throwing on a steak!
Use the broiler to finish the chicken
The chicken turns out the most golden and delicious if you finish them under the broiler.
Watch it closely though – 1 or 2 minutes are enough, otherwise it starts burning.
What can you serve with oven fried chicken?
The traditional sides of mac and cheese or mashed potatoes are not something you’d want to eat on-plan as a Trim Healthy Mama.
Instead, to make a great THM S meal, try these ideas:
- Mashed cauliflower – sooo creamy and delicious!
- Low starch sautéd veggies – we love spinach, broccoli or green beans with this chicken
- Roasted radishes – oh yum, so good. Recipe coming soon!
I like adding things like maybe a few roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes to turn it into a crossover for hubby and the kids.
Watch me make this Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken:
Get the printable recipe here:
Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken
For the breading
- 1/2 cup ground golden flax
- 1/2 cup ground almonds just regular ground almonds, no need to use expensive almond flour!
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the eggs
- 2 large eggs
For the chicken
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast, cut into pieces I do 8-10 pieces
For the pan
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Prep: Preheat oven to 430°F. Add a dark-colored pan or baking sheet to the oven as it heats up – the pan you use to bake the chicken on needs to be hot to melt the butter on!
- Make breading: Mix all ingredients for the breading in a shallow dish.
- Prepare eggs: Add eggs to a SEPARATE shallow dish and beat well.
- Bread fish: Dip chicken into breading to lightly coat. THEN coat chicken with egg. FINALLY, coat chicken with breading again, this time you can really pack on as much as will stick! (Just place breaded chicken pieces on a plate until you've breaded them all.)
- Melt butter: VERY CAREFULLY remove the pan from the oven. Add 3 tablespoons of the butter to the pan to melt. Spread all over the pan and put the chicken pieces on.
- Bake: Bake the chicken for 10 minutes. Flip, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and finish baking for 5-10 minutes or until the coating is crispy and the chicken is cooked through.
- Finish: Let the chicken pieces rest on the pan for 5 minutes after baking, then serve immediately.