This is an easy but special recipe, perfect if you want to celebrate a special occasion with a low carb, keto and Trim Healthy Mama friendly dinner! Please make sure to check all your ingredients for the "gf" label if you need this to be gluten free.
Servings 5 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 pounds beef round cut into strips
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 (10 oz) can bone broth (OR beef broth with 1/4 teaspoon powdered beef gelatine added)
- 1 (8 oz) pot full fat sour cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Melt butter in a wide skillet over medium-high heat. Brown beef in batches (about 30-60 seconds per side), then set aside on a plate. Tent with foil.
Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and mushrooms to skillet and sauté until softened. Stir in broth and simmer until reduced by 1/3.
Stir beef back into sauce and gently heat through.
Take off the heat, stir a bit of the hot gravy into the sour cream to temper it. Stir the sour cream into the skillet until sauce is creamy. Try the sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Beef round: I strongly recommend using a cut like beef round for this recipe. Do NOT use stewing beef here, this is a quick-cooking recipe and you need a cut that’s not tough.
- Broth: Bone broth works best due to its gelatine content. If you only have regular store-bought beef broth, I strongly recommend adding a little bit of powdered gelatine (start with 1/4 teaspoon).
- Sour cream: I prefer using full fat sour cream here because it’s the creamiest. It’s also the best choice if you want this dish to be full-on Keto.
Tips and tricks
- Don’t rush browning the beef, please do it in batches. This is the main component of this dish, and it will NOT brown if you throw it in the pan all at once.
- Do not heat the sauce once you have added the sour cream. It will split! Just stir it in and then serve immediately.
- For the creamiest gravy, you’ll need to use bone broth (for its gelatine content), or add around 1/4 teaspoon gelatine to store-bought broth. You could also leave those out, you’ll just have a thinner gravy. Glucomannan or collagen would also be a good option to keep this low carb.
Calories: 345kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 177mg | Potassium: 704mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 423IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3mg