The Best Mashed Cauliflower
The Best Mashed Cauliflower, EVER! This recipe is so delicious, ULTRA creamy and just about perfect.
Servings 4 servings
- 30 oz frozen cauliflower OR 1 large head, cut into florets
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream use low fat or fat free for a FP
- 1 tablespoon cold butter reduce to 1/2 tablespoon for a FP
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg you can use more if you like the tase, but be careful not to overdo it
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese I used a cheddar blend - use 1 tablespoon for a FP
Cook cauliflower: Place cauliflower in a large pot and cover with water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Boil until buttery-tender. Drain very well. Place back in the pot over medium-low heat. Stirring from time to time (don't burn it!), steam off all the excess water (about 3-4 minutes). Take off the heat.
Make the mash: Place the cauliflower in a large food processor with the blade attachment. Add all other ingredients and process until thick and smooth.
Serve warm topped with extra butter and chives, if you like.
- Cauliflower: Either fresh or frozen cauliflower can be used in this recipe. I buy whatever is available at a good price. And having a couple of bags stashed in the freezer always helps when I can’t get to the store!
- Sour cream: A reader recently asked if this recipe was possible with Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream, and I just tested it to report back. Yes, it works! You can use full fat sour cream for a higher fat version, or low fat sour cream/fat free Greek yogurt for a lower fat version. I let the yogurt sit at room temperature while the cauliflower was cooking to keep it from splitting.
- Cheese: I like a cheddar blend best here. The orange cheddar helps to ad a yellow hue to the mashed cauliflower, making it look even more like potatoes. Parmesan or Romano cheese are really delicious here too, though.
- make sure you steam off all the excess water, or you’ll end up with watery mashed cauliflower
- use a food processor for the smoothest cauliflower mash!
- don’t skip the sour cream, it adds a nice creaminess you’ll otherwise miss
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 134kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 469mg | Potassium: 656mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 240IU | Vitamin C: 102mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 1mg