Keto Swedish Meatballs
These Keto Swedish Meatballs are the real deal. Juicy meatballs in a creamy gravy - best served over mashed cauliflower! This recipe is low carb, Keto, gluten free and Trim Healthy Mama (THM S) friendly.
Servings 4 servings
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup low carb baking blend OR almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- oil ghee or butter for frying
For the gravy
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon smooth Dijon mustard
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Glucomannan
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Shape meatballs: Combine all ingredients for the meatballs in a large bowl (I always use a hand mixerto combine the meat!). Shape into 2 teaspoon sized meatballs.
Brown meatballs: Heat some oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Brown the meatballs in batches, about 6-8 minutes per batch. Remove from the skillet and set aside on a plate.
Cook gravy: For the gravy, add the broth and Worcestershire sauce to the skillet, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir in the cream and Dijon mustard. Simmer 5 minutes, then season to taste.
Thicken and finish: Stir the Glucomannan into a few teaspoons of cold water, then gradually stir into the sauce. Simmer until thickened. Stir the butter into the sauce, then add the meatballs and stir to coat. Serve over mashed cauliflower!
- Make sure to shape firm meatballs, or they'll fall apart when browning/simmering in the sauce.
- Whisk the gravy very well, or you'll get lumps in it. A lumpy gravy is near-impossible to fix, so you don't want the lumps to appear in the first place.
- If your gravy doesn't thicken, you may need to add more thickener. This can happen for various reasons. Just make sure to simmer your gravy for a few minutes before adding more Glucomannan (or starch), and always dissolve your thickener in a little cold water before adding it to the hot gravy for best results.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 25g | Cholesterol: 210mg | Sodium: 867mg | Potassium: 434mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1137IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 3mg