Black Bean and Corn Salad
A quick and easy summer salad to bring to all your cookouts this season!
- 3 large limes juice only
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Taco seasoning I used a homemade mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15oz) can kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (8oz) can corn kernels rinsed and drained
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro optional
Combine lime juice, olive oil and seasoning in large salad bowl.
Add remaining ingredients and toss well. Serve cold.
- if you need to be gluten free, please make sure all your ingredients are labeled as such (especially the spice mix!)
- the salad keeps well in the fridge for up to a day, but I suggest adding the avocado right before serving
Trim Healthy Mama Tips
This is a salad packed with fresh ingredients that I LOVE to serve to my kids (and my nursing self ?) on a hot summer day. It's definitely a crossover with all of those beans combined with the avocado (THM XO). It's something you can reach for if you want to bring a healthy option to a cookout, but don't want to dodge comments about overly diet-y food, ahem.
Here are a few ideas to change it up:
- skip the corn if you're in downsizing mode
- to turn it into a THM E dish, reduce the oil to 1 tablespoon (use more lime juice instead!) and skip the avocado