This Caprese Stuffed Balsamic Chicken is an easy dinner that’s impressive for dinner guests, but easy enough to make on a weeknight. The filling with sun dried tomatoes and mozzarella cheese tastes so amazing!
This recipe is Trim Healthy Mama friendly (THM S), low carb, keto and gluten free (if using certified gf ingredients). For more low carb chicken recipes, see my Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken, my Low Carb Thai Peanut Chicken or my Low Carb Balsamic Glazed Caprese Chicken!
This chicken recipe turns out so juicy and flavorful, but doesn’t need all that much effort.
The filling is simple with sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and basil – just slice a pocket into the chicken breast, add the filling ingredients and pin it close with toothpicks.
This is one of my go-to recipes when I have a pack of chicken breasts and don’t know what to do with them. Easy, flavorful and everybody loves it!
THIS CAPRESE STUFFED BALSAMIC CHICKEN:
- is easy to make with just a handful of ingredients
- has a delicious balsamic glaze to mop up with bread, rice, pasta or potatoes
- is easy enough for a weeknight dinner, but fancy enough for dinner party guests!
Chicken is such a favorite and you can never have enough recipes to make it taste great!
HOW TO MAKE CAPRESE STUFFED CHICKEN:
Read on for the detailed steps to make this traditional beef stroganoff, or scroll down for more tips to make this recipe foolproof and the printable recipe card.
1 – Cut open the chicken: First, you’ll want to slice a pocket into the chicken breast.
Take a sharp knife and slice the chicken across, but don’t cut through entirely. That way you’ll end up with a pocket to add your filling to.
2 – Add filling to chicken breast:
Now you can fill your chicken breasts! Place slices of mozzarella, basil leaves and drained sun-dried tomatoes inside the pockets you just made.
3 – Seal the chicken: Ok, you won’t be able to completely seal it.
But you’ll want to close the chicken breasts with toothpicks as well as you can, to keep the filling from oozing out too much as the chicken cooks.
4 – Brown chicken: Next, place some olive oil in a skillet, heat and brown the chicken on both sides.
Don’t worry if your chicken is still raw in the middle, you only have to brown it in this step. It will cook through later!
Remove the chicken from the pan and set on a plate.
5 – Make sauce: Pour chicken broth into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom.
Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken breasts back into the pan, close with a lid and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
The exact timing will depend on the size and thickness of your chicken breasts, but it will most likely take around 10-15 minutes.
Serve the chicken right away, while the mozzarella is hot and melty!
TIPS FOR THE BEST STUFFED CHICKEN:
- if you don’t have any fresh basil, you can sprinkle a little Italian seasoning over the mozzarella – it won’t be the same, but it’s still very delicious
- make sure to seal the chicken as well as you can – otherwise all the mozzarella will ooze out during cooking
- if you’re not a big fan of a lot of tanginess from the balsamic vinegar (I love it, my husband doesn’t!), you can use more chicken broth instead and cut back to two tablespoons of vinegar
CAN YOU MAKE THIS AHEAD OF TIME?
I’m a stickler when it comes to food hygiene, so I generally do not prep dishes with raw chicken in advance.
No, I would not recommend assembling this beforehand.
WHAT DO YOU SERVE WITH CAPRESE CHICKEN?
There are lots of yummy low carb side dishes you can make with this caprese stuffed chicken breast recipe!
Here are some of our favorites for THM S / low carb / keto settings:
- sautéed zucchini
- sautéed green beans
- roasted asparagus
- simple green salad with balsamic vinaigrette
- spinach salad with avocado and berries
- cucumber tomato avocado salad
P.S: If you tried this caprese stuffed balsamic chicken recipe, why not leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it?
I LOVE interacting with you and hearing about your experience with my recipe. Also, by adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Savory Nothings grow and get even better for you!
Low Carb/Keto Caprese Stuffed Chicken
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 4 chicken breasts
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 slices mozzarella
- 8 basil leaves
- 8-12 sundried tomatoes packed in oil drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon low carb sweetener optional to cut the vinegar’s acidity
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Stuff chicken: Slice chicken breasts open to form a pocket (don’t slice through compeletly!) and season with salt and pepper. Stuff with mozzarella, fresh basil and sundried tomatoes. Seal the chicken breast over the filling with the help of toothpicks (see post for sample photos).
- Brown chicken: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on either sie, then remove to a plate.
- Make sauce: Pour chicken broth into the pan, scraping any browned bits off the bottom. Add remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook chicken: Place chicken back into the pan with the sauce. Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid and simmer until chicken is done (about 10-15 minutes, depends on thickness of chicken!). Serve immediately.
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!