Whip up a batch of these Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies if you’re in need of a quick and healthy snack for the kids. They are refined sugar free, gluten free (if using certified gf oats) and made with all wholesome ingredients.
With a new baby, I’m finding it harder than ever to keep my older kids fed.
They are running and playing all day, and are hungry alllll the time. Please tell me you can relate 😅
I’ve been looking for simple and wholesome breakfasts/snacks I can throw at them even when the baby is uber fussy. And these healthy oatmeal cookies fit the bill perfectly!
How to Make Healthy Oatmeal Cookies:
What is a breakfast cookie?
First of all – please keep in mind we’re making healthy breakfast/snack cookies.
These are soft baked and only lightly sweetened, but they’re perfectly delicious (and my picky 3 and 5 year olds are testimony to this claim!).
In short, breakfast cookies are pretty much portable oatmeal.
What is oat flour?
Oat flour is simply oats processed until finely ground.
Measure out a heaping cup of old fashioned oats and process them in a blender or food processor until the resemble a fine flour.
If you have a grain mill (and oats), please remember that raw oats turn bitter pretty quickly when processed, so work fast to get them in the oven ASAP, or gently toast the grain before milling.
How do you store these cookies?
On the counter: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
In the freezer: Freeze in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months. To defrost, place on a rack on the counter.
The kids love these with a glass of whole milk, or just by themselves for a super quick and portable snack.
Oh and I love them gulped down while nursing, just FYI 😉
Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup oat flour (just process 1 heaping cup of old fashioned oats until finely ground) OR use whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax OR chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil OR butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup shredded apple
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 360°Line two baking sheets.
- Make Cookies: Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Scoop the cookies with a cookie scoop or tablespoon, placing about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie. Slightly flatten and shape the cookies (they will not change during baking).
- Bake: Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight contianer for up to 3 days.