Use up some of that garden zucchini in a batch of these healthy Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies. Perfect to tuck into lunch boxes!
This recipe is made with 100% whole grains, naturally sweetened and gluten free (if using certified gf ingredients).
Raise your hand if you’re always looking for easy and healthy snack options for the kids… That don’t come out of a package.
I thought I had hit the jackpot when I found out about energy bites (you know, the little balls made from fried fruit and nuts), but turns out my kids don’t tolerate them well.
But these breakfast cookies? They are really saving my butt this summer, with two always-hungry wild childs to feed.
Watch the Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies Video Tutorial:
Thankfully they’re easy enough to make with a needy two month old 😉
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies:
Do you have to squeeze the shredded zucchini?
Fellow moms in the thick of the early years: I know every little step can feel like an overwhelming mountain.
But yes, you have to squeeze the excess water out of the shredded zucchini, or you’ll end up with soggy cookies.
You could squeeze the zucchini in a clean tea towel.
But these days I use some paper towels. They’ll fall apart a little, but I’ve never experienced the zucchini sticking to it.
And it’s about all I can handle at the moment.
(Because picking zucchini shreds off a tea towel while comforting an unhappy baby? Thanks but no thanks right now…)
What is oat flour?
Oat flour is simply rolled oats you blitz to a powder in your blender or food processor.
If that’s too much for you to handle, feel free to use whole wheat flour instead.
How do you store these healthy oatmeal cookies?
On the counter:
Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
In the freezer:
Place the cookies in a freezer friendly bag or container, label with the name and use-by date (freeze for up to 3 months).
To defrost, remove the cookies from the container and place on a rack on the counter for 1-2 hours.
My kids love these Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies for a quick breakfast with a glass of milk on the side before they go run over the flowers n the backyard, ahem.
But they also love eating them by themselves as a healthy afternoon snack. And shhh, but I always sneak a few, too 😉
Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups quick oats
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup oat flour OR ground grain of your choice
- 1/4 cup ground golden flax OR chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil OR butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini excess moisture squeezed out
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 360°Line two baking sheets.
- Make Cookies: Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Scoop the cookies with a cookie scoop or tablespoon, placing about 2 tablespoons of cookie dough per cookie. Slightly flatten and shape the cookies (they will not change during baking).
- Bake: Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden. Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight contianer for up to 3 days.