Make a loaf of this Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread for easy breakfasts! It’s perfect to tuck into lunch boxes or as an after school snack, too.
This recipe is refined sugar free and made with whole wheat flour.
One of my favorite things to bake are quick breads. They’re perfect for breakfast, for snacks – and for the freezer!
And now with the abundance of zucchini growing in the garden, the zucchini bread production is strong in this house.
A lot of zucchini bread recipes out there are made with a ton of sugar and butter, and with white flour. I have nothing against these ingredients in an occasional dessert, but zucchini bread is often served for breakfast… And that’s really when I want to get sustaining nutrition into my family.
This is my tried and true recipe for a healthy loaf of chocolatey zucchini bread. It’s sweetened with a little bit of honey and made with 100% whole wheat flour.
Which leaves a little wiggle room for some dark chocolate chunks to coax my kids into going for the healthy option 😉
How to Make a Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread:
How do you shred zucchini for zucchini bread?
I like to shred the zucchini on a coarse grater.
I grate it right on a clean dishtowel, and then squeeze out the extra moisture.
When I don’t feel like picking zucchini shreds off a dishtowel, I do it with paper towels. It’s a little flimsy, but works in a pinch for a tired mom 😉
Do you have to squeeze the zucchini when making zucchini bread?
Yes, you really do have to squeeze it.
Otherwise there will be too much water coming from the zucchini during baking, and the bread will turn out soggy.
How can I make this healthy chocolate zucchini bread dairy free?
We have no allergies in our home, so I love using Greek yogurt in my healthy baking.
If you want to make this bread dairy free, however, you can use a thick applesauce or mashed banana in place of the Greek yogurt.
Then simply use oil instead of the butter and your bread is dairy free!
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1.5 cups shredded zucchini excess moisture squeezed
- 1/3 cup melted butter OR oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Prep: Line the bottom of a 5×9 inch loaf pan with parchment and grease the sides. Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- Make batter: Add zucchini, oil, honey, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl and stir until combined. Add dry to wet ingredients and fold just until combined – do not overmix, a few lumps are fine! Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake the bread in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.