Bake this HEALTHY Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread for breakfast or to have an easy snack on hand. It’s freezer friendly and perfect for lunch boxes, too! Made with wholewheat flour and sweetened with honey, this is a yummy but healthy treat.
Adding chocolate chips to zucchini bread makes it so special for the kids. We love semi sweet chocolate chips, but use any you prefer! For more zucchini bread recipes, see my Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread!
This year, I finally managed to grow some zucchini. And I want to turn ALL of them into zucchini bread, ha!
My kids and husband love a slice (or five, ahem) of zucchini bread as an afternoon snack. And my 3 year old especially when there’s chocolate chips involved…
I make this particular zucchini bread the healthy way: With whole wheat flour and without any refined sugar (I mean, apart from the sugar in the chocolate chips, shhhhh).
Even though this quick bread is healthy, it’s still absolutely delicious! And best of all: It’s freezer friendly, too.
THIS HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD
- is made with whole wheat flour and sweetened with honey
- only needs a few staple ingredients and is quick and easy to put together
- freezes well for those super busy school mornings!
I love stocking my freezer with baked goods for quick breakfasts and snacks, or to add to a lunch box.
Some of our favorites are my Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies, the Cranberry Walnut Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies and my Blueberry Oatmeal Bake – and a million loaves of Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread, of course ?
Hungry for More Healthy Comfort Food Recipes?
Join my FREE healthy recipe club here to get new family approved healthy recipes in your inbox! And follow along on Pinterest and Facebook for more mealtime inspiration.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD:
Read on for the detailed steps, or scroll down for how to freeze this bread, more tips to make this recipe foolproof and the printable recipe card.
► 1 Prep: First, you’ll want to get out a bowl and a measuring jug, line the bottom of a 5×9 inch loaf pan with parchment (and grease the sides!) and turn on your oven to 360°F.
► 2 Shred and Squeeze Zucchini: Shred the zucchini on a coarse grater, then place the grated zucchini on a clean dishtowel. Gather up the sides and squeeze as much excess moisture out of the zucchini as you can. I think it goes without saying, but that’s something you should do over the sink ?
Please do not skip squeezing the zucchini, or your bread will turn out wet and gummy!
And P.S: I LOVE my Microplane box grater for shredding zucchini – worth every penny because it works so well!
See which one I have here on Amazon! (This is an affiliate link and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.)
► 3 Mix Bread Ingredients Separately: To make the best bread, it’s important to first mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately. That way you can mix them together really well before they come together.
So, add all dry ingredient to a bowl and stir to combine them well (especially get that baking powder mixed in evenly!) and add all the wet ingredients to a large measuring jug and stir them together really well until smooth and evenly colored.
► 4 Make zucchini bread batter: Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients (this is where it comes in handy to use a measuring jug – mess-free pouring!). Use a spatula or a wooden spoon to JUST combine the wet and dry ingredients. Lumpy batter is perfectly fine.
And remember to fold in the chocolate chips, too!
► 5 Add bread batter to pan: Carefully pour the finished batter into the prepared pan. No need to smooth over the top or anything, the more you leave the batter in peace, the higher the bread will rise.
Though you can sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top for looks, of course ?
► 6 Bake the Bread: Bake the bread in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack (you may need to run a knife along the sides, and remember to peel off the parchment, too!) and cool completely.
TIPS FOR THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD
- don’t forget to squeeze the extra moisture from your shredded zucchini, or your bread will be too wet and turn out gummy
- do NOT overmix the batter, and do not use a whisks to stir it together – use a spatula or wooden spoon and fold the wet and dry ingredients together JUST until combined! Otherwise your bread will be dense.
- you can also bake this bread as muffins, just divide the batter between 12 lined muffin cups and bake for around 20 minutes
CAN YOU FREEZE THIS CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD?
Yes, you can!
Pack it up into a freezer friendly bag or container and label with the name and use-by date (freeze for up to 3 months).
I like freezing it in slices separated by wax paper, so I can only get out as many as we need (and it defrost faster).
To defrost, remove bread from the bag and set it on a rack on the counter overnight.
DO YOU REALLY HAVE TO SQUEEZE THE ZUCCHINI FOR ZUCCHINI BREAD?
Yes, you really do have to squeeze it. I know, an annoying little extra step, but it’s worth it!
If you skip this, there will be too much water coming from the zucchini during baking, and the bread will turn out wet and gummy.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love:
And if you liked these recipes, there’s plenty more to make family meals easier for you! Be sure to join my FREE recipe circle here to get easy recipes by email.
P.S: If you tried this recipe, why not leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it?
Healthy Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Box Grater
- large measuring jug
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 5×9 inch loaf pan
- parchment paper
- 1.5 cups shredded zucchini excess moisture squeezed
- 1/3 cup oil OR melted butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or whichever chocolate chips you prefer!
- Prep: Line the bottom of a 5×9 inch loaf pan with parchment and grease the sides. Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- Make batter: Add zucchini, oil, honey, Greek yogurt, eggs and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg (if usinin a separate medium bowl and stir until combined. Add wet to dry ingredients and fold together just until combined – do not overmix, a few lumps are fine! Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake the bread in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely (make sure to peel off the parchment too, or the bottom of the bread will get soggy).
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Suzanne Bader says
Just made these tonight and they turned out great!! The recipe was easy to follow and is made with “mostly” healthy ingredients 😉
I did use coconut oil in place of butter or vegetable oil and added 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of ground nutmeg as that is what I had on hand.
I will definitely be making these again! Thanks for sharing!! 😊